Showing posts from February, 2024
Octavious Morgan was b orn 15 September 1803, fourth son of Sir Charles Morgan, 2nd bart. of Ealing, Middlesex, and Tredegar Park, Monmouth. His mother was Mary Margaret, daughter of capt. George Stoney, R.N. and he was a brother of the  first baron Tredegar . He entered Christ Church, Oxford, 26 June 1822 (B.A. 1825, M.A. 1832). He was a justice of the peace and deputy-lieutenant of Monmouthshire, and he represented that county in Parliament from 1840 to 1874. Joining the Society of Antiquaries in 1830 and becoming later a vice-president, Morgan was at the time of his death one of its oldest Fellows. He was a constant contributor to the publications of that Society (see  Archaeologia , xxxiii, xxxiv, xxxvi), to  Archaeologia Cambrensis , and to the  Journal  of the Royal Archaeological Institute. He was elected F.R.S. in 1832. His name and that of Thomas Wakeman are thought of immediately in connection with the publications of the Monmouthshire and Caerleon Antiquarian Association (fo