Posts

RE: Treasure case - Medieval annular brooch from Langstone

Image
Oliver Blackmore, the Collections and Engagement Officer at Newport Museum and Art Gallery, has recently acquired a brooch under the Portable Antiquities Scheme in Wales (PAS Wales).  Dr Mark Redknap from National Museum Wales, comments - the decorative medieval brooch inlaid with niello is 13th or 14th Century. [Niello is a black mixture, usually of sulphur, copper, silver, and lead, used as an inlay on engraved or etched metal, especially silver. It is added as a powder or paste, then fired until it melts or at least softens, and flows or is pushed into the engraved lines in the metal.] The brooch was found in January 2019 in Langstone, Newport, by Steve Cashmore  and Mark Jones with Newport Museum and Art Gallery hoping to acquire the brooch for its collection.  Descriptio DescriptioNiello is a black mixture, usually of sulphur, copper, silver, and lead, used as an inlay on engraved or etched metal, especially silver. It is added as a powder or paste, then fired until it melts or

The Tragic Group: The Russian Invasion of Finland

Image
The Tragic Group: The Russian Invasion of Finland  Artist: Merlyn Oliver Evans With the Ukraine Russian War taking place Roger Cucksey, who was  Keeper of Art In Newport Art Gallery over a period of over thirty years, has reminded us of the relevance of this painting. The Winter War, also known as the First Soviet-Finnish War, was a war between the Soviet Union and Finland. The war began with a Soviet invasion of Finland on 30 November 1939, three months after the outbreak of World War II, and ended three and a half months later with the Moscow Peace Treaty on 13 March 1940. The painting shows a large desolate landscape with a group of people in attitudes of despair in the foreground. It was first exhibited in 1956. It is tempera on a board.  Born in Cardiff, Merlyn Oliver Evans (1910 -1973) studied first at the Glasgow School of Art  and later at the Royal College of Art, where he would go on to teach at the end of his career.  A gifted painter and graphic artist, Merlyn’s work became

The Roman finger-ring from Graig

Image
    Roman finger-ring from Graig Newport Museum and Art Gallery has finally received the Roman finger-ring from Graig. This was  purchased for the museum by  the Friends of Newport Museum and Art Gallery. This finger-ring was discovered by a metal-detectorist in Graig, Newport. It features a palm branch design, which was widely believed to symbolise victory in the Roman period - in particular, victory over the ‘Evil Eye’. Such rings would have functioned as amulets, protecting the wearer from harm. The ring was declared Treasure due to its age and precious metal content. It was purchased by the Friends of Newport Museum and Art Gallery for Newport Museum, where it will be displayed in the near future.  see The Treasure Act Code of Practice (2nd Revision) In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, all finders of gold and silver objects, and groups of coins from the same finds, over 300 years old, have a legal obligation to report such items under the Treasure Act 1996. Prehistoric base

Newport Rugby and Rodney Parade

Image
  Newport Rugby and Rodney Parade 1. Rodney Parade Viscount Tredegar painted by George Frederick Harris (1910) Newport Museum and Art Gallery From the Marshes to the Salt Pool. In 1875, the Newport Athletic Club was created, and two years later they secured the use of land at Rodney Parade from Godrey Morgan 1st Vicount Tredegar , for their cricket, tennis, rugby and athletics teams. He called it Rodney Parade after his brother Charles Rodney Morgan   (2 December 1828 – 14 January 1854). Charles Rodney  Morgan was the first born son and was due to inherit the estate but died in  1854, in Marseilles. For more information click here -   Charles Rodney Morgan   For more information about Viscount Tredegar - Godfrey Morgan, click here for Steffan Ellis's blog post.  Tag Archives: Godfrey Morgan . Clarke's Garden 1854 Newport Rugby Club can trace its origins to Newport Victoria Cricket Club, which played on the marshes in what is now an area stretching from Wyndham Street to Shaftes

The Development of Newport Docks

Image
  The Development of  Newport Docks  At the moment Newport Museum and Art Gallery has a photographic exhibition about the development of Newport Docks and it ends with photographs of the Newport Dock Disaster of 1909. The Newport Ship Newport's riverside wharves and jetties have existed at this major trading port since at least the fifteenth century, as evidenced by the discovery of The Newport Ship trading vessel dating from 1465-6. See David Jordan's painting below. Approaching Newport” by David Jordan  The Monmouthshire Canal The town's industrial significance was established in 1799 with the opening of the Monmouthshire Canal (nprn 85125). Subsequent development made Newport docks the the outlet for all iron and coal production of the Monmouthshire Valleys of Rhymney, Ebbw, Sirhowy and Afon Llwyd.  The Monmouthshire Canal Company with its canal and tramroads was responsible for the growth of Newport, which became the third largest coal port in Britain.  In 1796 the comp